What is Plan First?
Plan First is Virginia’s free family planning program for men and women. Family Planning Services have education and support to help you decide if or when you want to have a baby. Plan First offers free yearly family planning exams, contraceptives, lab testing, family planning education and more.
What services does Plan First cover?
- Family planning, education and counseling
- Over-the-counter (OTC) contraceptives with a doctor’s order
- Prescription contraceptives
- Vasectomies and tubal ligation
- Transportation to covered family planning services
- Yearly family planning exam
- Pap tests
- Sexually transmitted infection (STI) testing
- Lab services for family planning and STI testing
What if you have other health care needs?
Plan First pays for family planning services only. If you get sick or need treatment for other medical conditions and you do not qualify for full benefit Medicaid, you can go to a Community Health Center. These centers have primary care on a sliding fee scale based on your income. Find a nearby Community Health Center.
Plan First providers
Who qualifies for Plan First?
Men and women may qualify if they:
- Are U.S. citizens or qualified legal immigrants
- Live in Virginia
- Meet the monthly income limits
What are the income limits?
Qualifying for Plan First depends on household income and family size:
- For your family size, count the number of people included on your federal taxes.
- If you don’t file taxes, count how many children and stepchildren under age 19 live in your home.
- Add yourself if you are the children’s mother, father or stepparent. Then add your spouse or partner.
For example, if you have 4 children and stepchildren under age 19 living in your home, plus yourself and your spouse, your family size is 6. We use monthly income to find out if you qualify. The current monthly income limit for a family of 6 is $6,354.
*Includes 5% FPL Disregard
2023 Income Guidelines as of January 20, 2023
How do you apply?
If you think you may qualify, go to Apply.
To find out if you may qualify for Plan First, answer the questions on the screening tool at Am I Eligible?
Eligibility for health coverage is based on income plus other factors. This tool screens for income only. You may qualify for coverage based on other things like age or disability. To get a full review, you need to Apply.
Where to learn more
Plan First Brochure
Member Fact Sheet
Plan First Member Handbook
Immigrant Eligibility Information